Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Go Pink Wednesday

TWO posts in one day?!?  What is going on here?
Well, there are a lot of things going on here.  First off, I had a job interview yesterday.  I'm cautiously hopeful about it, and will know soon if I will get to move onto a "real" job...but that's not something I want to think too much about.  I did, however, need to be put together and presentable, so my nails needed attention.  I also needed to keep it subdued, professional.  That meant no black for Halloween or anything.  I figured a pale pink was safe.
It's also breast cancer awareness month.   A ton of awesome bloggers are posting pink manis on Wednesdays in October ("On Wednesdays we wear pink.") to raise awareness and show solidarity for an important cause.  I have been hugely blessed to not have this hit close to home, but cancer has.  While we focus on awareness and prevention of breast cancer this month, it's really about ending all of them.  A cure for one is hope for all.  Knowing your body, being aware of changes, and being brave enough to get help when you see them will help all of us, and the earlier we can tackle cancer, the better the odds.  So, I'm all for raising awareness!


I bought the OPI Pink of Hearts duo when I saw it at Ulta recently.  I loved the glitter and can never have too many pinks.  More importantly, if I am going to spend money (and of course I was going to) I would prefer that it does good.  While my purchase did not increase their donation, OPI is giving $30,000 to breast cancer research, so I figured I could get on board with that. 

*1 coat Yellow-Out base
*3 coats OPI I Think In Pink
*1 coat Sinful Colors Glass Pink
*1 coat OPI Teenage Dream on ring finger
*1 coat Out the Door top coat



The pale cream of I Think In Pink is pretty sheer.  I used 3 coats to clear out all streaks and get a shade that was accurate to the bottle.  It is a perfect baby pink.  The pro-wide brush and formula made for a quick, easy application.  Three thin coats dried quickly and built easily. 


 I added a single coat of Glass Pink over the top for some shimmer.  This pale pink is very sheer.  It slightly muted the color of I Think Pink, but not much.  More than that, it made the cream come alive!  The golden shimmer is gorgeous and really dense.  This is a pretty new polish for me, and I can't wait to see what it can do for other shades.  This combo is amazing!  It was sparkly enough to make me happy, though subtle enough to feel comfortable walking into my interview with.


I took a chance and added the beloved Teenage Dream as an accent.  I worried it was too much glitter for an interview, but then I realized that I needed to be myself.  I needed to feel like me to feel comfortable, and this little extra was enough.  It is so pretty over the top of these!  The holo and iridescent glitters catch the light everywhere.  It is not hard to see why this topped most bloggers' favorites lists last year!


I'm wearing pink because I love it!  That's reason enough to be aware and mindful of breast cancer and all the others.  I like embracing the glitter-loving, sparkle-swooning, shiny girly-girl in me, and I need to take care of myself to do that.  What is it that you love enough to protect? 



Go Pink Wedensday

6 comments:

  1. I love the combination and the glitter accwnt nail :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Arletta! It's hard to go wrong with Teenage Dream :) The bows that you stamped yesterday were really cute!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful blog post! I completely agree with you about being supportive of all cancers to find a cure and our family, as well, has been blessed with not having to deal with BC but we know how cruel Lymphoma can be all too well. Your mani is gorgeous and I love how you kept the glitter for your interview, I would have as well. I Think Pink is so pretty, is it close to a dupe for Pedal faster Suzi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm very sorry about your aunt--I lost an aunt to brain cancer 13 years ago and it definitely changes you and the things you care about. I Think Pink is actually a cream finish on its own and Pedal Faster Suzi has shimmer in it. Adding Glass Pink on top gave it shimmer that made them similar. I would say that PFS is paler and cooler in color. ITP is a bit closer to a bubble gum pink, warmer in tone. But they are pretty close--good call! The main difference is that the Glass Pink I topped it with has golden shimmer in it and PFS has more of a silver shimmer.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shannon! My camera skills are not great, so this is a lot prettier in real life (especially in the sun!). It has started to chip a bit, but I'll be sad to see it go. I love your post yesterday, both the mani and your honest, sincere story! I may have to add Naked to my wish list now...

      Delete