Monday, October 22, 2012

31DC: Inspired by a song

You have to bear with me today.  I knew that I wanted to do a Wizard of Oz design, but the question was which day to do it.  After I filled in my other "inspirations," I ended up with an empty song day.  This is going to be a picture-heavy post with a lot of designs (10) and polishes (20--4 untrieds!).  I'll try to be brief, but my life-long love for this movie really makes that hard!  I was going to do 5 different images/concepts, but couldn't narrow it down, so here is a full 10 mani:

"Oh, we're off to see the Wizard--the wonderful Wizard of Oz!"
 (The polishes for the first 5)
 


"I could show my prowess, be a lion, not a mo-use, if I only had the nerve..."
For the Cowardly Lion's tail I used China Glaze Capitol Colors.  The base is Fast Track, the tail Mahogany Magic and the tuft on the end is Harvest Moon.  All three of these are gorgeous brown shade, perfect for fall (or a lion).
 "Only bad witches are ugly!"  I thought that Glinda was the most beautiful person ever!  I loved her dress, her crown, her bubbly and her wand.  She was a little girl's dream!  I used China Glaze Good Witch? (Wizard of Oohs and Aahs collection) as my base.  I painted the whole nail with China Glaze Fairy dust and then layered Wet n Wild Kaleidoscope and Revlon Stunning at the base.  This is a feeble attempt to capture her!


 "Follow the yellow brick road!"  I used Color Club Almost famous for my base and painted the bricks with my new Black Holographic striper by Color Club.


"Their magic must be very powerful or she wouldn't want them so badly!"  Of course I had to use Ruby Pumps (China Glaze Wizard collection)!  What little girl didn't fall in love with these sparkling shoes? 


 "Yes, let the joyous news be spread, The wicked Old Witch at last is dead!"  Those iconic legs, poking out from beneath the house that fell.  The striped stocking, curling up after the slippers disappear.  That's some dark stuff for a little kid, but there is no denying the Wicked Witch of the East is a key part of this story!  I used Sinful Colors Snow Me White and my Black Holo striper.




 (These are the polishes for hand number 2!)
 

"I'm Dorothy, the small and meek."  Dorothy was one of my favorite costumes to wear growing up!  My mom made me a dress and spray painted and glittered up some Keds so that I would be comfortable.  That blue dress is as iconic as the shoes!  Of course, I used Dorothy Who? (China Glaze Wizard collection) and a small paint brush.  I used Snow Me White and a coat of Zoya Ginessa as the base.


"Ha ha ha, ho ho ho, that's how we laugh the day away, in the merry old land of Oz!"  I had to get the Emerald City in here!  Coincidentally, my dark green polish is Emerald City by Sally Hansen!  I then added China Glaze Fairy Dust and Luxe and Lush on top to add the sparkle to the city.  Whenever I watch the Hunger Games, I can't help but think of the Emerald City when I see the Capitol.  You know, in the lavish, sparkly, non-killing-children way.
 
 
 "I'm presumin' I could be kinda human if I only had a hear."  This is slightly disastrous.  It was only after I went to take pictures that I realized that my heart is upside down :(  It was 3 coats of the Ten Men (China Glaze Wizard collection) and Zoya America to make this, with a dot of Snow Me White.  I just couldn't bring myself to redo it all when I had finished everything...so it goes.  The wizard didn't think hearts were practical anyway.

"I'll get you my pretty!"  The Wicked Witch of the West sets everything in motion.  I don't remember being afraid of her when I was little.  I do remember loving/fearing that big red hour glass that she sets when Dorothy is locked in the tower... I used Zoya Yara as a base and added Spoiled Show Me The Money with Black Out on the tip.
 
 
 

"I hereby confer upon you the honorary degree of ThD--that's Doctor of Thinkology."  This is a base of Snow Me White with Ginessa over the top to tone it down a bit.  I used America again to draw the ribbon on the diploma for the Scarecrow, who really had a brain.
 
 
So there you have it.  The movie, the soundtrack, the Broadway show, Wicked...I've been there and done that.  Criticize it all you want.  The Wizard of Oz will always have my heart.  To show you how much I love it and how into it I get, here's an embarrassing story:  I was well in to high school watching the movie on TV with my parents one night.  I forget how it came up, but my dad mentioned that every scene is show with a painted background, like the set of a play.  I not only argued with him, but had to look very closely because I had NEVER noticed that before.  To me, it was just Oz.

No comments:

Post a Comment