Wednesday, October 10, 2012

31DC: Gradient

Now is when the challenge begins to get scary for me! I am not very skilled in true nail "art" and mostly just paint my nails. I have seen a lot of amazing gradients and tutorials for using sponges to make it easier, but I was still so nervous to try (and post) one myself. Then I found this great gradient and little tutorial and thought maybe I could handle it!



I don't have the same navy blue that she does, but I went with my trusty Insta-Dri Co-bolt Blue. I love this navy! It is a really saturated, rich blue that is almost a one-coat polish. It has a subtle shimmer to it in the sun and the wide brush that I love.


*1 coat Yello-Out base
*2 coats Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Co-Bolt Blue
*Kleancolor Holo Blue
*Kleancolor Holo Pink
*1 coat Seche Vite

This was my first experience with these Kleancolors and these holo glitters are SO pretty! I used the Holo Blue first, like she suggested. I let it pool just a little around my cuticle and brushed upward. Instead of doing a coat over the whole nail, I stopped each stroke when the glitter stopped, leaving the tips of my nails alone.


Then, with a decent amount of polish on the brush, I blobbed it on the tips of my nails and pushed/pulled it back toward the cuticles. Because I didn't do a practice run, I then went back and added a bit more pink to the tips to make the gradient a little more defined.


These colors are so pretty together! I was surprised with how this turned out. While yes, I am ashamed that I didn't clean my nails and fingers up better, this actually turned out better than I expected! I like the look of it and am excited to try again. Practice makes perfect, right?
 

The pictures really do not do these glitters justice.  You can see some of the holo reflecting in my blurred index finger in this last one.  Have you tried these yet?  Do you have any other great tips for perfecting a gradient nail?  I'd love to hear your tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment